The ruins of the castle
The ruins of the “Château de Molières” are located a stone’s throw from the village square, at the north-east exit of the village, on the right-hand side of the road leading to the cemetery.
It is a fortress, built from 1314 on the orders of Guilhem de Toulouse, Sénéchal of Périgord, under the reign of Edward II of England. It forms a square of 40 meters on each side, which was reinforced at each corner by a square tower.
The enclosure was formed by curtain walls, two metres thick, more in some places. They were reinforced by buttresses placed halfway around each corner. The top of the curtain walls was crowned by a parapet walk.
The gate, between two buttresses, was protected by a portcullis, the housing of which can still be seen on the right-hand side.
In the centre of the courtyard is the keep. This building most probably predates the rest of the construction. Each side is 6 metres long. The keep had three levels. Originally, there was no access to the ground floor. The first floor was accessed by a wooden ladder which was removed in case of danger.
A dwelling, of which traces can be seen on the opposite side of the entrance, had been built, perhaps as a home for the garrison commander. This dwelling was decorated with a very graceful niche with a tri-lobed arch. Other rooms were located in the towers and in the courtyard of the castle.
A 50 feet deep well (just over 13 metres), cut into the rock, opens into the courtyard. As in all fortresses, the presence of drinking water was essential.
Due to a lack of funds, the fortress was not completed and its construction was halted in 1320. It was most certainly remodelled and inhabited during the Renaissance Period.
During the Revolution, the castle was sold as national property. The new owner demolished it little by little to sell the materials. This explains why the large stones that formed the corners were ripped out to the ground level.
In 1948, the castle was listed as a historic monument.
Today, this private monument is unfortunately not open to the public for security reasons. But don’t hesitate to take a tour of the exterior and admire its impressive walls.